Monday 20 September 2010

First game of the blog.... Minecraft!

Okay so I'll try and sum this up first before explaining in more detail:
  • Randomly generated map, with mountains, beaches, and a underground cave network beyond imagination
  • A completely free-roam game, in which the player begins simply trying to create shelter from the various materials in the world, which then expands to anything you want (e.g. exploring the caves, creating a castle, mining operations, fighting the creatures hellbent on creeping you out)
  • Block-based game, meaning ANYTHING (minus the bedrock block!) can be destroyed and almost any blocks can be used, all with various properties.
  • Create your own tools!
  • Game in alpha stage, with constant updates and development
  • Prototype online servers are all up and running
  • A committed developer always keeping people up to date with what is happening.
Minecraft. A game in its alpha stage, which can be considered a 'survival' or a 'sandbox' game. Fairly basic graphics are made up for with some of the most versatile and open gameplay which can be experienced. I'm talking the sky's the limit provided you can find the materials and have the patience to make it happen. Here's what the game looks like at its most basic from, a screenshot from when you start the game:

To put it simply, the world generated is huge. It can't be comprehended on the same lines as other games. Ill try a higher up point of view ( by placing a tonne of sand blocks underneath me, building a very simple 'tower' of sorts.)
Maybe this shows a little better, though it still doesn't do justice:

And even then there's double the length of land, beaches, hills. This also doesn't show the caves of Minecraft, where more of the glory is in fact held. The game is also very early on and is constantly being developed with biomes hopefully to be produced soon. Snow terrain can already be generated in fact! As nighttime hits (or you venture through caves) you also encounter creatures which you can kill for resources or simply out of bloodthirsty desire. In general the game has received brilliant response and already has a large online community (the server has in fact recently died with popularity.) Personally I'm really enjoying the experience and for those who want to see some gameplay before checking it out should follow this page as I will film some gameplay videos of the majority of things I review. I'd really recommend this game to a huge variety of different gamers as it is so broad in its capabilities. for now though I'll leave it at that and let you make up your own minds! A video viewer will be on my blog soon! Here is a link to the site for those of you who realise how much potential this game has:
MINECRAFT :D

Peace till' tomorrow,
Andy

8 comments:

  1. Your center column needs more contrast with the background image. It's hard to see your text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jagernaut, it is a bit difficult to see. But moreover, the "reactions" options are mashed and, at least in Google Chrome, I can only read the first 3 options.

    However, back on point, nice first pick. Your review covered the game pretty well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh sorry about that, I'll try and get on that now, but if its not done tonight I'll solve it by tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback, it's people letting me know stuff like that which will hopefully make this better. I'll give you a shout when I've hopefully sorted it and you can give me your opinions then! Hoping to make sure all my game reviews are of fresh and fun games like this one. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should of wrote more and show some more of the game play like some of the caves and monsters and maybe some screen shots of towers in the multilayer and what you can do

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im actually working on a little something to show that ;]. Hopefully my minecraft collagé and videos will be more to your liking so stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ehm, bedrock can't be destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty good first review. I agree the background image for the website is distracting.

    The content of your blog is sufficient, but if you're hoping to be taken seriously I'd be more careful about proofreading your entries. I spotted several typographical errors that really distract discerning readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. *ahem*, with the exception of bedrock... i'll edit that in now :p I will admit that I kinda rushed a few bits and I will go over it tonight, thanks for reminding me. Also @David I agree in fact, and I will ensure to change the background and edit up all the errors tonight. I'll let you know when I'm done, you can give me another proofred haha :) appreciating all the comments and feedback, thanks!
    Andy

    ReplyDelete